Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I purchased a horse daughter 3 years ago as she is a

Customer Question

Hi, I purchased a horse for my daughter 3 years ago as she is a competitive horse jumper. The plan was to keep the horse for 2 years and then sell her. Our plan was never to keep her for long due to the costs involved in horse care. Through circumstances, the horse has developed a degenerative disease. Her disease is being controlled through special feed and drugs. We have tried to sell her, as planned, but she is no longer saleable due to her health condition. Currently, we are no longer able to afford to keep her. Can I have her put down because she is no longer healthy and too expensive to keep?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

Are you asking about this because you are wondering if you can legally do this if your daughter owns a horse?

Is your daughter an adult?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I own the horse. This question is not about my daughter, it is about the horse. The horse is sick and we are poor, can I put the horse down if I cannot afford the horse because the horse is sick. My daughter is not involved in this issue.

Yes you can. There is no law that says you cannot put down a sick animal. This is done all the time.

You can certainly confirm that with your vet.