Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Can i get my money back google play cards, I made a police

Customer Question

can i get my money back for buying google play cards, I made a police report on the scam.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Please explain why this is a scam.

Also, where is the business that sells these cards located?

What have the police said?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The police was talking to them and told me it was a scam after i purchased the cards. they told me they were calling from revenue Canada and I owed money if i did not show I was going to try they wer going to put me in Jail. They said i was sent a letter and it was returned. They said someone came to my door and i would not answer. the only way i could show i was been honest was to pay some of the money they were asking for. I suffer with a mental illness, so I believed this to be true. When my bank opened today i was to pay the rest. the Oficier told me to call to see if i could get a refund on the cards. the store is located in Hanover, Ontario Walmart.

I don't understand. The CRA scams are very well known but what has this to do with Google play cards?

How much did you pay for the cards?

Did you ask if Walmart would allow you to give them back?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry i am on a fixed income.The google cards were to pay for the money i supposedly owed. by giving them the code number they could take they money. I asked twice at walmart and they said no. I bought 16 cards at $50.00 each, but I scratched one and gave them the code.

Here is what I suggest.

Ask the police if they will help you by simply talking to the manager of Walmart for you.

If they won't ask to speak to the store manager. Explain the police told you that were the victim of a scam and ask if they will take back all the cards aside from the one you scratched off.

If they will not I have a few other things to try.

First, contact google, explain what happened and ask if they will allow you to get a refund through them if you provide them with the codes.

If that will not work then you can consider going into a local legal aid clinic and ask there is a lawyer will write Walmart and ask then to give a refund. They don't have to but may agree if they hear from a lawyer.

If that doesn't work you can try selling the cards at a slight discount to one of the sites that sells gift cards to the public. There is one I know of that is legitimate:

For the future you should know that the CRA never calls. They send letters. They do not threaten with jail.

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank-you, I will try. The officer is on duty tonight i hope. This all happened after my bank was closed. The Officer told me the same advice, but they told me a letter was sent but was returned. And someone from the Cra knocked on my door.

The CRA never comes to your door. Second, the CRA would most assuredly never ask you to purchase gift cards and give you the codes. In any event, while it is very sad that you are the victim of the scam that does not mean that Walmart has to pay you back, so my suggestions are likely only going to work if you are lucky. I suggest you try and follow them immediately.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I never heard of the scam, instead of itunes apple cards i picked up google cards. but i also picked up i tunes, that i am looking for a refund for. The police will not go with me to the stores.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the police have called Google and talked to them. Where do i contact apple I tunes to try a get a refund , the store will not return them.

I am just a lawyer in Canada. I do not know anything about Apple or how to contact them, I can only provide legal information about the laws in Canada which I have already done.

As well, I am surprised and puzzled to see that you have not yet rated me. That means that even though I spent all this time with you I have not yet been paid. I know you paid this site but I do not get paid my portion of what you pay the site until you rate me, and I should have been paid on the day that I did the work. Please rate me positively now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i purchased the google and apple i tunes on 3 credit cards and do not have the money to pay for them. i am on ODSP.

I understand that but I am not able to continue without your rating me as I cannot afford to work for free unfortunately.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have indirectly talked to the store manager and the answer was no.

Please do not continue to discuss this with me until after you rate me. You have a subscription so it costs you nothing to rate me yet you still have not. I will not reply back again unless I am rated as I simply cannot spend more time with you if I am not to be paid.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have done everything you asked and unable to get a refund. The Opp even called Google who is working on it now. But how do i contact i tunes?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have rated you Twice

The rating did not go through. Please try again.