Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

Tenant constantly changing time and then not showing up to

Customer Question

Tenant constantly changing time and then not showing up to allow me inspection. I have no written contract. Finally 4 days later he sent text message to go ahead and I could enter even though he would not be present. Upon entering the suite there were toys tools and garbage in the entrance way, door could not be fully opened. It stuck of cigarette smoke and garbage. Fruit flies galore. 3 large holes in the walls, decaying food in fridge, towel bar ripped off in bathroom. Brown spots on ceiling which he identified as pudding pop. The floor never swept. Fruit flies all over kitchen cupboards, the closet organizer broken and a mountain of clothes lying on floor. No furniture to speak except love seat and 2 bar seats plus tv. I want this pig out NOW.
I am elderly 63 yr woman and I am afraid of him.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Is the tenant in a separate unit or do you share a bathroom and kitchen with the tenant?

Why were you doing an inspection?

Why would you be looking in a tenant's refrigerator?

Is this a non-smoking building? Did he agree not to smoke?