Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

We have a 16 year old and we are going away trip to Calgary

Customer Question

Good Evening, So we have a 16 year old and we are going away for a trip to Calgary and she is telling us that she is not coming. Is there anything we can do? What are the laws on 16 years old?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

The law is that she is a legal minor until she reaches the age of 18 and must abide by your decisions.

But at the same time there is not much you can do if she won't agree to abide by your decisions as the police are not going to drag her onto a plane for example.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if anything happens to her do we get in trouble for it?

You might.

It is your legal responsibility to make sure she is taken care of.

So you have to arrange for her to stay with an adult if you don't think she is responsible enough to live on her own.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well she said to us tonight she would go to a friends but she can go where ever she wants. What can we do about that is there anything we can do?

From a legal point of view she is supposed to listen to you. But I think this boil down more to parenting questions rather than legal questions. And if your daughter is out of control it may be that you need to speak to a school counsellor or therapist of some sort to assist you in figuring out how to deal with her.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just another question theres so many different answers for this. What age does she have to be when we can stop supporting her like with the extra stuff like computer and tv? and yes we have went to a therapy and it still hasen't gonna us anywhere.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I wish I could get some more answers but I must go thank you for all your help I hope you have a great night

You do not ever have to provide her with a television or any other extra but you have to provide her with the basics that she needs until she becomes an adult.