Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How can I find out how much a case filed in Canada settled

Customer Question

How can I find out how much a case filed in Canada settled for? I am a practicing orthodontic in US I was hired by a family to review previous orthodontic records and serve as an expert witness. The plaintiff and I agreed my fee would be 300 per hour. I reviewed the documents over a 2 year period and wrote my report which was used in court. My fee came to a little under $60,000.00 American dollars and the plaintif submitted my feed to the court and they were approved in her settlement. The problem is she nor her attorney will pay me. I need to report both to who ever governs the ethics of lawyers.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

What province are they in?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alberta
Is a reason why they say they are not paying the fees is because the other party was to pay the fees?Are you ask how to report the lawyer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We had a lawyer in Alberta and last week we agreed to settle for 28,000.00 and they requested we sign a release , we did and we requested the same from them. Our lawyer said the money would arrive this week but then today we get an E mail from our lawyer stating they refused to sign release and we have 15 days from yesterday to respond or the money will be returned to the defendant ( we filed a complaint in the courts)We called our lawyer in Canada and apparently today he left for a 15 day vacation and his paralegal states he cannot be reached. He never told us he was going on vacation yesterday when he sent their response . He just ok off without telling us.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want to file a complaint against their lawyer and ours as I think they purposely did this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, they got a large settlement and tried not to pay anyone including their original attorney which had to hire an attorney to go after them for his money

To file a complaint against the lawyer you would do so through the law society. They are the lawyers' governing body and deal with professional misconduct.

Here is a link to the information you will need:

http://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/lawyer_regulation/complaints.aspx

If there was a settlement it may not be possible to see what was settled unless for some reason the settlement was filed with the courts. That could be the case if they filed what is called Minutes of Settlement.

If there is an order then it is a matter of public record and you can get a copy from the courthouse.

You can get a copy of any document in the court file so your next step would be to call the courthouse on Monday and ask for a copy of all that is in the court file. You will have to pay a photocopy fee.

Does that help as a starting point?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think so, I really need to know what form of government governs lawyers though so I can report them. The case will tell me who all the players were

The law society of the province governs all lawyers in the province.

You will get all you need from the court file.