Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a US citizen wanting to work Canadian company remotely

Customer Question

I am a US citizen wanting to work for a Canadian company remotely from the US. Is this possible as either a contractor or an employee or would I need to maintain a work visa?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

If you are remaining in the US you do not need a work permit. A work permit is for when you are working inside of Canada.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you - do I need any documentation?Would my company be able to pay me in my US account?Does it matter if I am incorporated or a full time employee of this company?Would all my taxes be in the US?

If you are an employee the company is required to withhold taxes for you. If you are an independent contractor they will not do so.

It is likely best for you to be an independent contractor and then you can decide whether or not you wish to incorporate. The company can pay directly to any bank account in the world.

As far as Canadian law applies you do not need any documentation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks so much - is there anything that I can have on file from CIC or a similar government company to show that I can work for the company remotely?

No because Canada has no jurisdiction over you.

But the employer can clearly ask their own lawyer or call CIC to confirm this.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No problem - thanks

If we are done please rate me now so that I can receive credit for my work.

If you think of another follow-up question later on you can certainly ask it. This post will not lock act you rate me.

Thanks and take good care.