Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Is there any recourse who have been taken by door to door

Customer Question

Is there any recourse for people who have been taken by door to door sales for a furnace rental? They were Ontario Energy Group and although they were too smart to claim any connection with the government I'm sure they knew that that would be the normal reaction to think that. They also made no disclaimers either. At one point, when the possibility of moving came up, I decided to buy it outright,they charged me, are you ready?$ 17,000 dollars. I could not believe it. The very worst of it is the stuff is not working right. The A C does not keep the house anywhere near as cool as the old one did. They have come out several times and each time I have some hope that it will work, I simply cannot tolerate the heat, it can make me quite ill. I don't know if anything can be done. It is a real crime that these crooks are allowed to prey on seniors. I think Bernie Madoff must run this place. Can you contact me Lynn Matthews(###) ###-####Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Should we go ahead? If so I will have some questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is fine. Lynn Matthews

When did you sign the contract with them?

What did you buy outright? The furnace or the air conditioner?

Was it under warranty?

Is there a maintenance service contract?

How did they justify the $17,000?