How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97440
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a property in Whistler I have an opportunity to

Customer Question

I have a property in Whistler I have an opportunity to sell.The property is in my mothers name.It was left to me in her will of which I am the executor.I haven't changed the title yet.I live in Alberta. what steps do I need to take to have this happen quickly?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.

Has the will been probated yet?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.

And just to clarify, the property is in your mother's name alone?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am also the only beneficiary and power of attorney. My mother passed away 3 years ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.

This is not a great situation for you because you are in a hurry. It is not going to be done quickly.

You have to probate the Will first. That will give you the authority as executor to transfer the title to the property.

So the best approach you can take is to retain an estate lawyer who will probate the Will but make it clear that you are in a serious rush.

Then you will need a real estate lawyer to deal with the transfer of title.

It would make the most sense to retain a law firm that does both estate law and real estate law.

There is no way to rush the process very much unfortunately, but the estate lawyer should know how to get the papers done quickly and get the matter before a Judge quickly as well.

Related Canada Law Questions