Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a property in Whistler I have an opportunity to

Customer Question

I have a property in Whistler I have an opportunity to sell.The property is in my mothers name.It was left to me in her will of which I am the executor.I haven't changed the title yet.I live in Alberta. what steps do I need to take to have this happen quickly?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

Has the will been probated yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No

And just to clarify, the property is in your mother's name alone?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am also the only beneficiary and power of attorney. My mother passed away 3 years ago.

This is not a great situation for you because you are in a hurry. It is not going to be done quickly.

You have to probate the Will first. That will give you the authority as executor to transfer the title to the property.

So the best approach you can take is to retain an estate lawyer who will probate the Will but make it clear that you are in a serious rush.

Then you will need a real estate lawyer to deal with the transfer of title.

It would make the most sense to retain a law firm that does both estate law and real estate law.

There is no way to rush the process very much unfortunately, but the estate lawyer should know how to get the papers done quickly and get the matter before a Judge quickly as well.