Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a Canadian citizen living in the US since 1991...and

Customer Question

I am a Canadian citizen living in the US since 1991...and had secured a Greencard at my first opportunity. Subsequent to that, I married a US citizen; and even though we live in the US full-time, upon retirement....we are thinking about moving to a property that we own in Canada, and only spending winters here in Arizona in a condo that we already own. I had never apply for US citizenship, even though my wife is always telling me that I should. Our primary question is....how will effect us moving forward with taxes etc; AND how long can she spend in Canada each year....AND what do we need to do to get her status where she can stay up there beyond whatever time limitations the Canadian Govt have in place. She is college educated, and has a clear record....not even a parking ticket.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

Before I answer I just want to confirm that you are solely asking about the law in Canada. I cannot answer about the law in the US.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
about my American wife being able to be in Canada

She will need to apply for and obtain permanent residency status.

This will be easy so long as you wish to sponsor her as your spouse.

And the application process should be started when you are getting closer to planning the move. It can take up to two years for the application to be approved.

You will have to show that you are moving back to Canada yourself.

Here is a link to the information that you will need:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

As a visitor she can visit for up to six months at a time but if she keeps leaving and coming back at some point her visits will be limited in duration and eventually she may be prohibited from entering as it will appear that she is living in Canada permanently as a visitor.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.