Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I went to the Church of Scientology a time ago and donated a

Customer Question

I went to the Church of Scientology a long time ago and donated a large sum of money over $30,000 on life improvement courses that they were offering. I didn’t know it at the time but apparently there was a person who was stalking me and even followed me to the church. He managed to turn everyone there against me, and convinced them to cause me hardship. I have suffered a lot because of the actions that those people took and have only been able to recently recover and slowly get my life back together. I was almost attacked at that time a few years earlier and found out years later that this stalker is the one who also orchestrated that too, staff members at the Church at that time were aware of this as well. Is there any legal action that I can take either against the Church of Scientology for causing this extreme hardship in my life and for taking my money or this individual who was the one responsible for creating the situation?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
What province is this please? When did you discover this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This took place in Ontario. I discovered it a while back when it was too late, due to the mental state I wasn't able to do anything about it. At this point I don't know if there is anything that can be done about it.

Was it over two years ago that you discovered it?

How long ago did you donate the money?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, I have donated the money about 15 years ago, but the only reason I am speaking about this matter now is because of what had happened as a result of being there at that time. They caused me so much duress, mental stress and subsequently health issues to the point where it was hard to work or function that I have only recovered recently from the debilitating health problems and extreme psychological turmoil. I went there because of these so called life improvement courses that they were offering not to have my life destroyed. As mentioned earlier, it was because of this individual who was stalking me unbeknownst to me at the time who was the one telling and paying other individuals at this organization to go against me and to put me in this debilitating state, staff members were aware of this fact prior to me donating any money, and there was no mention of him when they would come to me for donations. I guess my question is does an organization who is selling services have a legal obligation to let that person know before any funds are exchanged, especially a substantial amount, that there is a person who is at the organization that has ill intentions towards them and wants to do them harm. If so would this be considered fraud? I wouldn't have given any money if I knew of this fact beforehand that this person was there and staff members were aware of this fact as well since they were conspiring against me.
The problem here is that it is much too late to sue as the limitation period for suing is two years from when you discover the claim. There is also what is called the ultimate limitation which is 10 years and that means that even if you did not discover the claim you cannot sue once 10 years has passed since the claim arose.So even though all of this is terrible and exceedingly horrifying to hear about to be frank and my heart certainly goes out to you, it is just much too late to sue unfortunately.Do you see what I mean?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I did ask for money back at the time but they refused to return it. I understand the limitations but what occurred made it impossible to seek legal advice sooner? I could barely function let alone make a claim until now. Does that make a difference?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am hoping that this does not happen to anyone else, and really believe these individuals should be stopped. Is it possible to sue the people involved separately rather than the organization? I've had a significant loss in wages due to their actions.

You cannot sue anyone at this point in time as this goes back 15 years. The limitation period is firm unfortunately.