Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

How to inform owners of Strata Building of lawsuit against

Customer Question

How to inform owners of Strata Building of lawsuit against the Strata council by one resident owner?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

I don't know what you mean.

Are you asking how the Council should tell the owners?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Council has been served with the Notice of Claim by one of the owners of strata building (condominium). How to inform the rest of the owners about it? Should we provide details, as to who is suing us, like name of plaintiff, suite number, particulars like the compensation (amount of money) she's seeking, how much, etc. Should we inform the owners through the meeting minutes of strata council, or notice posted, or separate notice delivered to each door. We're in a process of writing the latest meeting minutes, so should we use this opportunity to write it there? Thanks

Why do you want to tell the owners about this? What is the purpose? Once I understand that I will be in a better position to answer.

Was this claim discussed at the meeting?

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Srata Council must in form the owners about the lawsuits suites against the strata ASAP, that's according to Strata Property Act of British Columbia, Canada. A person in the building is suin the council for money, and the owners must know, because it will affect them too.

So if that is the only purpose, then you can advise them in any way you wish.

If this was discussed at the meeting then it would be a good idea to put all the relevant details in the Minutes of the Meeting.

If it was not then you can include a letter about the Claim with a copy of the minutes.