Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Separation rights and laws in, Québec, Yes. Problem is that

Customer Question

Hello Pearl.....separation rights and laws in
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Québec
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes. Problem is that he left 18 months go. I'm still in the matrimonial home. Left when I was unemployed and still am. Expects me to pay for bills I have no money for. I'm broke therefore can no longer afford a lawyer. He won't file because he knows it will cost him but I'm about to choke.....
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: To give them a $5000 retainer and go after everything I can.....I can't find it in my heart to do this. I've lost my daughter and grandson over this. In the meantime, about 3 months ago, the woman he was with is no longer and moved in with our daughter.....I've been seeing a social worker because of depression and suicidal thoughts....
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Like?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

There is nothing about what is in our heart to consider. You have to consider the law and what you are each entitled to. You have no chance of getting everything any more than he has a chance of keeping everything himself.

You need a lawyer that is experienced, will consider you assets, debts, income, needs etc and give you a legal opinion as to what you are entitled to.

Then the lawyer will write to your spouse asking your spouse to get a lawyer and explaining that if that doesn't happen you will proceed to Court.

The Court will make an order that divides the assets fairly and if you are in need of support that court will order that as well.

Because you are depressed it is hard for you to get up the energy to deal with this but you are getting trapped into a situation that will become worse if you do nothing.

So find a lawyer that you believe is competent but compassionate and you will start to feel better and at the same time there will then be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Family law is a terrible system for all but by retaining a lawyer you trust you are making the best of a terrible situation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a list a pro bono lawyers in my area? Or non profit organizations?

There are no lawyers that will take this on for free. Pro bono lawyers don't do family law unless there is some higher legal principle involved.

But you should contact legal aid and see if you are eligible for a legal aid certificate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome.

I am so sorry you are in this awful situation and while you cannot believe this now, it will get better, many of us have been there and once the legal issues are handled things always look more hopeful.