Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have a problem with an infectious Group Insurance Company.

Customer Question

I have a problem with an infectious
Group Insurance Company. I had a workplace injury my hands. I have hurt them due to over work. We tried less hours therapy no jobs could be found for me. I was put on WCB.
I get an income loss payment ..until I am 65.
It has now been 4 years and the Group insurance company decided to pay me until I am 65.Now comes another problem my doctor has diagnosed me with another condition which he feels I should be off work for.
I applied to Cpp was successful. They gave me a retro payment for 2015 which I didn't expect and also one that covered 2016
I paid an important bill and put enough money for taxes away. Then it was then that the Group Insurance said they would cover me .
So now the Group Insurance wants money back from my retro from Cpp which is a completely different diagnoses from what they had been paying me in 2015. Can you tell me what to do I feel that I never knew about the Cpp retro pay was coming. I got it in 2016.
I am disabled now with two conditions and by the time the Group Insurance offsets everything I will be left with very little.
I want to get rid of them..How can I do this.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

Let me make sure I understand this WCB pays you and on top of that the group insurance does and now because of a second diagnosis CPP does as well but now the Groupn insurance says you have to pay them back what they paid you up to what CPP has paid you, correct?