Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

About a month ago I got pulled over expired sticker, and

Customer Question

Hi there. About a month ago I got pulled over for an expired sticker, and ended up having alcohol in my system. The police took me into custody and I spent the night in jail. I got paper work and such and recently have got kicked out of my boyfriends house where the papers currently are. I had a " promise to appear " yesterday, but could have sworn it was today at 4:00. I made a big mistake and since I don't have the papers I didn't make it yesterday. Not sure what to do. Should I go in and explain to them what exactly happened and apologize and ask if they can see me today? Or will I possibly get arrested on the spot ? Just need advice
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the question, I hear your situation.

If you go to court now, you'll be arrested. And given the time of day there's a chance you'll be held overnight for processing in the morning. There will be a warrant for your arrest after your failure to appear.

So if you haven't gone in yet, then arrange to go to the court house first thing in the morning. Go to the information desk, say that you lost track of your court date because you don't have your paperwork since you were evicted. You'll be arrested, but since it's early in the day you're more likely to be processed that day and get out that day.

You might need a surety, so either have someone available by phone, or who can come with you, who could do that.

Don't bring excess jewellery, clothes, or money. Just a piece or two of ID. That'll speed things up and no risk of losing those items.

If it was an honest mistake you'll find that the Crown isn't likely to pursue this charge very far. They'll probably drop the charge if there's a plea on the others, but worry about that later.

Does that make sense? I'll await your question or comment. If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.