Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

The condo corp that is over this building where we live has

Customer Question

The condo corp that is over this building where we live has sent us a letter asking for a special assessment of $1500.00 by the end of June, for July 1. We haven't seen any spending done on the condo that is visible. It is new only three yrs. old and they have already went and started taken an extra $50.00 a month condo fees without mentioning anything to us. This whole place seems like a bunch of shilters. I will pay the money if I have to but right now we are awaiting an answer from our title Plus insurance. Yes I should mention that there are five condos for sale because of what these people are taxing on the backs of individuals like our family. How should I approach this condo management company?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This is not about the management company. They have no real authority. Their authority is delegated from the Board.

So you have to take this to the Board and ask why the special assessment was done when no work is being done and more importantly why they raised the fees and how they could do so without providing notice but simply went ahead and had more withdrawn from your accounts.

It sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

If many owners are not happy then you should consider calling a member's meeting. It may be that you will need to oust the Board and elect a new one.

Does that help as a starting point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will find out why the board has asked for a special assessment and I believe that they said it is to build up the Reserve Fund account they say in the letter that they are required by Condominium Act to have $350.000.00 in the Reserve Fund, I'll forward the letter as well.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm not permitted to be documentation unfortunately.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.