Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I am 38 years old was in a relationship with a 31 year old

Customer Question

I am 38 years old was in a relationship with a 31 year old mother of 2 boys who is divorced and shares custody with her ex husband. We are no longer together and have reason to believe that she is pregnant even though she said she is not but will not take a pregnancy test and its starting to worry me.
I make around 20,000 per year and she makes roughly 50,000. We are both located in Ontario. Hypothetically if she were to announce that she would be pregnant how much on average would I have to pay?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you thinking the child would live with her most of the time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure as I am just preparing for the worst case scenario here financially for me.

Worst case scenario is that based on your income of $20,000 you would have to pay monthly support to her of $160 per month.

Then if she has to use day care and her income is $50,000 you would have to pay 20,000/70,000 or 29% of those costs.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How does the agreement work with an infant and if I go to work everyday from 9-5. Would I have to share some of those responsibilities in taking care of the baby? Me and her are on bad terms and she has completely shut me out.If daycare is included would that be around $700 as my worst case scenario for monthly payments? I am just having alot of anxiety and stress over this.

In terms of your responsibilities for the child, excluding financial responsibilities, it is up to you to decide how involved you want to be in your child's life. No one can force you to be involved in the child's life.

I don't know how much daycare will cost. You would have to call around to find out.