Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment

Can i be held responsible deceased husbands credit card

Customer Question

can i be held responsible for my deceased husbands credit card debts
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. It's easily answered but can be complicated in real life, and you need to be in touch with the executor /administrator of the estate.

The first thing to be sure about is whether the credit cards were solely in the name of the deceased. Sometimes people get credit cards issued to them and their spouses jointly; that's dodgy but it happens. Or a credit card in one spouse's name is ***** ***** property that's jointly owned in order to get a higher limit or a better interest rate, that happens too.

While you're investigating that, make sure that the estate administrator sends a copy of the death certificate to the credit card collections. They should know this, but sometimes they don't.

The estate is responsible for the debts of the deceased. So you don't have to fork over your own money for it. Having said that, if the estate includes joint assets owned with you then the estate may have to pay those bills out of jointly owned assets.

It depends on the circumstances. If there's more information, please let me know. But don't be hesitant to answer their calls, you have to get this sorted out. From what you've told me, I can't give you a better answer than that. ,

If after talking to the estate's executor/administrator, and maybe an estate lawyer if the dollars are high enough to merit that cost, you're confident that you don't have to pay the cards the don't worry about it. Collections will be calling to bully or guilt you into paying the bill when you don't have to. But you can't ignore them until you're certain that you won't be on the hook.

Anything else to discuss about this? If so then please reply. If not then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

I don't know if you've seen my answer yet. I hope you have. Anything further to discuss? Have you had contact with any creditors directly yet?