Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

L have received a telephone call from prize masters

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** have received a telephone call from prize masters international,telling me that I had won. A great deal of money, and are asking me to transfer money to pay customs. And revenue charges for the cash to be released and forwarded to me in the uk, I believe this is a scam,am I correct..?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I have read somewhere that there are no charges for the release of monies from canada
JA: Dealing with charges can be stressful, but getting correct information now can only help. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: City of toronto
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: No
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

That does sound fishy to me. What more can you tell me about the phone call?

Should I assume that you don't recall entering any kind of Prize Masters lottery or draw?

I've done a bit of research online, and it seems clear that this Prize Masters call is a scam. There are numerous very similar scams I've seen reported, here's one:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/prizemasters-international-canada-lottery-win-is-it-a-scam-c741724.html

And yes, you're correct. In Canada, a lottery payout is considered a windfall and there should be no "tax" withheld, nor should there be any customs charges that have to be paid directly to them before they pay you. In the event that there is some of government imposes fee depending on where you live, that problem is solved by paying the win to a lawyer to hold in escrow, who then pays the fees out of the money and gives the balance to the winner. There's no legitimate reason to have to send money to a lottery in order to collect your win.

Good job in listening to your gut. The only way that these scam attempts will ever end is if nobody falls for it, and given human nature I doubt that will ever happen.

Anything else about this you'd like to discuss? I'll await your question or comment. If I've answered you fully then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

I hope you didn't send them any money yet. Any updates?