Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I just received a call from a police investigator telling me

Customer Question

i just received a call from a police investigator telling me that i am accused of fraud and that I must come and meet her nxt monday or else there will be a arrest
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: its in Canada
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I used to work at a bank and in 2013 I used my corporate expense visa card wrongly.... I used it to make personal purchases... I figured that for all the overtime I made, it would sort of compensate
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: the bank investigator called me in one day and he asked if he could record our conversation... I agreed... he then went through all the xpenses with me and I basically admitted to it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
basically, the investigator tells me that the fraud amount is for $15k. She said that when I come meet her, I will not be put in jail and I will be set free immediately. My question is actually more with regards ***** ***** following.... should I get a laywer to come with me? If I agree to pay the fraud case, what are the consequences and how does it work? I pleade guilty, can I negotiate for a lower amount?.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Who called you to come in, was it the bank investigator or the police?

Do you have a criminal record?

Could you pay the 15K back if you decided to at this point?

Don't use details that can identify you, please.