Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My father is 86 years old and has dementia. I was made s

Customer Question

My father is 86 years old and has dementia. I was made his Power of Attorney 15 years ago but never received the copies of same. His lawyer is making me jump through hoops to obtain them. Am I entitled to the PA's as I must put my dad in a care facility. Thanks
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.

What province are you in, please?

What do you mean when you say that the lawyer is requiring you to jump through hoops?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ontario. He is asking me to prove who I am although I live 3 hours away by getting some\ething signed by my bank manager. Should I not have received the PA's at the time they were signed?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello

You have the right to receive the POAs, but the lawyer is correct in that he has to protect your father and so cannot possibly send these documents to anyone unless he is positive that he is sending them to the correct person.

You should be able to provide copies of photo ID for the lawyer. Perhaps you can provide them by way of fax or email, or perhaps you can even facetime or skype with this lawyer.

The lawyer owes your father a duty of care and the lawyer is simply trying to exercise his duty of care in the best possible way. He is required by law to exercise due-diligence, which is all he is doing here.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can he not send these to my father?

If your father is no longer competent he cannot possibly send them to your father. He can only send the POA forms to the person appointed under the POA when that person provides the lawyer with appropriate ID.