How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98990
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a county replace all the water, sewer, and storm sewer

Customer Question

Can a county replace all the water, sewer, and storm sewer in a hamlet and charge the residents for this replacement by adding extra to the property taxes?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

The elected representatives have the right to determine what the property taxes will be. If they raise the taxes too much then they will not be reelected.

So, it would make sense for the homeowners to go to their particular elected representative and complain.

But there is no law that prevents them from charging higher property tax rates as they are the ones that are entitled by law or authorized by law to set the property tax rate. Do you see what I mean?

Related Canada Law Questions