Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment

My ex husband has not paid the equalization payment and now

Customer Question

My ex husband has not paid the equalization payment and now owes around the 50000.00 dollar mark.what do I have to do to to get this payed
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not as of yet is there a free consultation I could get
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was collecting thro1ugh a garnishee that stopped in 2011 when he went missing....I now have a confirmed address and want to place a lien/writ for sale and seizure and need to know what form I require to do this and am getting no where with the court office
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I'm receiving no help from the issuing court and need advice on what I need to do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Enforcement can be tough, I know.

What province are you in?

Do you know where the debtor works?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in Alberta and my ex is in Thunder Bay, ON where the order was issued. He was working and I was collecting with a garnishment, he's not anymore, I don't know where he works, but I do have a confirmed address that he owns.

As I'm sure you know, you can have a registry agent to check the title of that address to confirm that he's a titled owner. Then you put a lien on the property or attach a writ.

There's a good document on the Ministry of Attorney website about debt enforcement. Here it is:

Copy that and paste it into your browser, you'll see the document. It lists the various types o enforcement and the forms for each.

You will need proof of your ex's ownership of property that you want to have seized, of course. A ppsa search or land titles registry will be needed.

Is that a good start?

Was that helpful? If you have the information you need, may I please have a positive service rating? That's how I get credit from the site.