Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I live in Montreal Quebec (borough Cote-de-Neiges/Notre

Customer Question

I live in Montreal Quebec (borough Cote-de-Neiges/Notre Dame-de-Grace)
The back of my property has a common border with the neighbours back yard from the next street. The neighbor owns the fence that separates the two yards. It is a "frost" (chain link) fence in a sad state of disrepair, but the neighbor refuses to fix it, remove it or contribute half the cost to replace it with a new fence.
The solution I would like to pursue is to plant a cedar hedge (max 6 feet tall) across the back of my property (on my property) so I don't have to look at the fence any longer.
Are there any laws that say I can't do that? The hedge will limit the neighbors view they now have through the fence, and partially shade their back yard (a few feet). I am onlyu concerned that there may an obstruction of view by-law of which I am unaware.
My e-mail address is***@******.***
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

I tried to search the by-laws online but cannot find the appropriate by-laws.

All you have to do is call by-law enforcement. You can even call anonymously and say you want to know about fence construction and you want to check about height restrictions.

They will be able to tell you without a moment's hesitation.

Here is the contact information:,82997610&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL