Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I'm having some issues with a roommate and I am (really) in

Customer Question

I'm having some issues with a roommate and I am (really) in need of some guidance. This is my situation...
In December, I leased a townhouse condo unit from a rental company. I am the only one on the lease, with the exception of my dad who was my co-signer.
At the beginning of February, I signed a sublessee/sublessor agreement with a girl who was to sublet one of the rooms in my rental on a month-to-month basis. Our agreement, which was written and signed by both of us, says that it's month-to-month with no expiry, however either party can terminate it if 60 days notice is given.
After the first few weeks, this girl showed her true colours. She became cold, standoffish, and passive aggressive. I've been just letting it go but it's begun majorly affecting my mental health. I have tried talking to her about it but nothing has changed.
My doctor and psychologist are both aware of the situation, but despite being on medication and in counselling, I'm having a really hard time living with her. My anxiety shoots through the roof and I am having panic attacks when I see her car pull in the driveway. I feel so uncomfortable in my own home and it's making me physically sick.
Seeing as I tried talking to her about how her attitude towards me in my own home is affecting my mental health, and nothing changed, I told her tonight (in writing) that it was her 60 days notice to stop our month-to-month arrangement because it's no longer working for me.
Instead of understanding, she took the opposite approach and told me that I cannot sever our agreement without a better reason and that she refuses to leave and will take this to the landlord and tenant board if I don't just deal with it or move out myself (I'd have to find someone to take over the lease because it's my name and only my name on it).
What are my legal rights?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm actually in Ontario, Canada

Ok, I will have to opt out and transfer the question to the Canada law category as I am US based..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you!