Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

Spouse gave away son's dog and he wants it back, but the

Customer Question

Spouse gave away son's dog and he wants it back, but the person who has the dog does not want to give it back; any remedy to this situation?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Kirk Adams replied 6 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

A person can only give away what he/she owns, so if the spouse didn't own the dog, then the attempted gift would be improper and ineffective in terms of transferring the property/dog.

So, the transfer should not be a legal one, and your son should be able to sue for conversion of property to recover his dog if the custodial will not return it.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 6 months ago.

Hello, your question showed up on the Canada Law category. I see that you were chatting with an expert named Roger? Did you start in another category?