Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My ex wife is running around calling my current wife all

Customer Question

My ex wife is running around calling my current wife all kinds of vicious names. She is suggesting that my current wife is not a worthy step mother to my kids "because she had her kids taken away from her by Childrens Aid". This is not true. My ex goes further and says that I told her these things - which I did not.
What can we do legally to stop her from spreading false rumours and denigrating my wife?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this very difficult situation. I suggest that you consult with a civil litigation lawyer. This issue really is not for a family lawyer.

If your former spouse is telling lies about your current spouse this is defamation and she can be sued for damages to your spouse's reputation. But, the first step that has to be taken before a lawsuit is initiated is you must have a lawyer send her a letter demanding that she cease and desist, provide your spouse with a written retraction and apology, and threaten a lawsuit.

If she refuses then your spouse can sue her and seek an order enjoining her from defaming your spouse further and for damages.

Does that help as a starting point?