Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I was in a physical relationship with a co-worker at my job.

Customer Question

I was in a physical relationship with a co-worker at my job. He left the company 2 years ago, and we still have maintained somewhat of a relationship. Within the last week, I have talked with him and I sent a funny picture of one of our conversations to a friend/co-worker which was nothing unusual. My boss and fellow co-workers were aware of this relationship. Today, I was called into my bosses office and he told me that my ex-coworker had filed a lawsuit against the company. I was unaware of this situation, and they want me to make a statement and they will be sending a letter to this "ex-coworkers" lawyer explaining how he is contacting a current employee. What are my rights in this situation? In my conversations with this "ex-employee" he has asked me questions in the past about who has left the company, who is new and such but no serious confidential matters. Like I said, I would like to know my rights and if I am just being used to get leverage on the lawsuit. Thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Do you belong to a labour union?

Have you signed a non-disclosure contract with the employer?

Do you know what the lawsuit is about?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No Union, there has been no contract but a policy that vaugly describes that information tabout comany "secrets" and information regarding sales prices and such is confidential, and the lawsuit is in regards ***** ***** owned to him by the company, him being an ex sales rep.