Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My ex spouse and I have drawn up a seperation agreement, it

Customer Question

My ex spouse and I have drawn up a seperation agreement, it is ready to be signed, but my ex claims that if we don't both take the document to a lawyer it won't be valid and she's concerned I'll claim I didn't understand what I was signing and try to sue her for proceeds from the sale of the family home later down the road, I have assured that is not my intention and do not wish to involve the cost of a lawyer into the situation. Do we require a lawyer to be involved for the real estate portion of the seperation agreement to be valid and legal?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

To be sure this agreement stands up in court should one of you need to go to court you absolutely each need independent legal advice.

That means you each need your own, separate lawyer, to review the agreement and make sure you understand the law and what you are agreeing to.

So she is correct.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear but the law is really quite clear in this case.