Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I got a court order that allows police/detective to install

Customer Question

I got a court order that allows police/detective to install a camera surveillance in the underground garage of my building. One of my tenants seems to be under surveillance. If they do proceed right now I'll have to postpone by at least two months work that I had scheduled to start within two weeks. That will cause me much trouble because it is related to mandatory work that I have to complete to get a money holdback by my lender. The only thing I would like is them waiting just two or three weeks. Can I ask for a stay order for this? Or time to review the order? Or whatever that give me time to finish the work I have postponed for two years. I already have a camera surveillance there. I just need a bit of time and thereafter they can do whatever they want.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

Does the order state that you cannot block the view of the camera in any way or does it just say you need to allow the police access to the garage to put in the camera?

Did you tell the police that you are about to do work that cannot be postponed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did tell them. Actually I didn't see the court order yet. I am currently trying to negotiate with them to postpone it by two or three weeks. I am doing the retrofitting of the lighting in the whole building. But what they need is installing the little camera beside a light in the garage. They want to install it now even if they have a full two month to conduct their authorized 16 days surveillance. Just in case they don't let me do my repair before they install it. As I said this repair is part of a larger one in is final phase and that involve a lot of money hold back by my lender. I cannot wait more before moving forward with this. I have pushed forward my deadline already.

I suggest you tell them they can do what they want but the repair is going ahead as it is just not possible to delay it and that while the camera will not be harmed you cannot guarantee that it will not be obstructed or that the power will always be on (if that is the case).

If they threaten to charge you with something then you may need a lawyer to proceed to court to get the order stayed for a few weeks.

You can also say that you will sue the police should you suffer damages which may very well end up being substantial based on your facts.