Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am just trying to get a basic idea on what a severance

Customer Question

I am just trying to get a basic idea on what a severance payout would be after 16yrs as an Adminstrative Asst II would be
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I just know that our company is paying very bare minimum
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: What kind of info?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: We are being shut down due to the OIl & Gas Industry
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
You are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice. After so many years of employment the employment standards act and its minimum requirements would not apply to you. Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.