Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm starting a new cabinet manufacturing business and my former

Customer Question

I`m starting a new cabinet manufacturing business and my former employer told the owner of a building that I want to lease that I would not be a good prospect for a lease agreement because he would never get paid from me. The owner decide not to lease me that building on that premise. This is causing me to loose $1.5 millions in contracts that i have ligned up for this summer. Is this defimation of carracter. and do I have a legal leg to stand on.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.
Yes. You do have a legal leg to stand on if what the former employer is saying is false. If someone tells lies about you t someone else and this harms your reputation then you can sue for damages. I suggest that you retain a lawyer and have the lawyer send your former employer a letter demanding that they cease and desist from defaming you, that they provide you with a written retraction and apology, and that they reimburse you for any damages that you have sustained. The letter would also threaten a lawsuit. At the same time, you should be actively searching for new premises because you have to prove that you are trying to mitigate your damages. Let me know if you need any further clarification.