Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Need help in putting together a legal letter addressed to a

Customer Question

Need help in putting together a legal letter addressed to a contractor who has failed to meet his obligations. The facts are as follow: We are based in Montreal, Canada and had recently hired a software developer which we found on ODESK (Freelance Website) to design and develop a program for us that would enable the linking of multiple quickbooks databases. The contractor is based in seychelles so all correspondence was either done over skype or emails. The contractor was originally very responsive to our emails and meeting requests and provided all the needful for the software development. This included the proposal, project plans, payment terms and schedule. We engaged and paid the first milestone payment. Once payment was received, contractor became difficult to reach and started giving excuses for his lack of performance. We patiently waited for some progress however nothing was delivered. All communication has seized at the moment. We want to basically send a strongly worded letter for a lawyer in order to try and motivate him to pay back the deposit.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Just before I begin, can you confirm that you are just asking me to assist you in suggesting what you can put in the letter? The lawyers on this site cannot do the letter for you. However, I can explain to you what are some good ways to find a lawyer in Quebec.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thanks for getting back. If I cannot have a lawyer from here put the letter together than this service will not be of use to me. The legal letterhead is important because it will have bite, a letter directly from me to the contractor won't work, he is not threatened by us. I have a lawyer here in Quebec however at $250hr, its almost not worth it for something like this. Thanks
You are completely correct, and you should be using a lawyer to send the letter. $250/hour is very very reasonable. The lawyers on this site are not permitted to provide legal advice, but as well, if were, you would have to pay reasonable legal fees. That is why this site is reasonable: because we can only provide legal information and not advice or other services. There is no such thing as getting valuable cheap legal services. You should never be fooled by that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright thanks for making it clear. Given I did not get the service I had intended here, how do I get refunded?
I am happy to send a message to customer service for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Your responsiveness and etiquette is greatly appreciated.