Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

Can I take a thermal image (from public property, not showing

Customer Question

Can I take a thermal image (from public property, not showing any occupants of the house) of anyone's house to be used for private marketing data to contact THAT particular residence to offer thermal graphic services for heat loss analysis etc?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. I believe that it would be legal. You're on public property. Nobody has any ownership over the infrared or ultraviolet spectra. Having said that, if your images started to show where people were in the house and what they were doing I'm sure that would rightly be considered an invasion of a household's privacy. But if all you're doing is showing where the hot spots are that could and should be better insulated, that shouldn't be a problem.It might be even better if you knocked on the door first and asked permission. That will introduce you, make you seem polite, and not freak homeowners and neighbours out when they see you filming houses from the street. Even though you're not doing anything illegal, I'm sure you'll have the police called on you. After all, how do these people know you're not casing out the place?Does that make sense? If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.
Just checking in since I didn't hear back from you. Did my answer help?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks i appreciate the advise
You're very welcome. I'm glad to help. If you haven't yet, can I get that rating please? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping people.Good luckUlysses