Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Im looking to get a temporary residency . I am a

Customer Question

Im looking to get a temporary residency for Canada. I am a US citizen. Can I currently change my US mailing address to a Canadian PO Box? What are the first steps I need to take to get temporary citizenship?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.
There is no such thing as temporary citizenship. The laws are not that different in Canada then they are in the US. There's also no such thing as temporary residence. You can come to Canada as a visitor, you can come to Canada on a study permit, you can come to Canada on a temporary work permit etc. but you cannot move to Canada without legal status and you cannot obtain temporary residency.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What are the steps to obtain a temporary work permit?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Once I obtain a temporary work permit, can I open a bank account and get a mailing address in Canada?
Yes you could get a bank account and a mailing address once you can prove residency with legal status to the bank. To be able to get a temporary work permit you first have to have an offer of employment. Then, the potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a labour market impact assessment. That is so that the government can determine whether there are enough Canadians to fill this position and if there are not then you would be given a temporary work permit. Here is a link to the information you will need: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am interested in applying for a PR card in Canada. I am currently legally married however but have filed for a divorce. My legal name right now is my married name (which is on my passport) but when the divorce is final, my name will change back to my maiden name. Can I apply for a PR card now with my married name or do I need to wait for this name change (update my passport) to occur before applying?
You can certainly apply now. You can then provide documentary proof of your name change later on.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As an American, can I buy land in Canada or do I a PR card first?
These last few questions are not follow-up questions and should be posted on a new post. I cannot keep answering new questions here. That is in breach of the Terms of Service of the site and also not fair to the site or me as I cannot get paid more than once per post. The answer is you can buy land without residency status. But please rate me now and if you want to continue start a new post.