Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

Here is my dilema... i was married when i was 16. i took

Customer Question

Hell here is my dilema... i was married when i was 16. i took on my husbands name legally until i remarried in 1996... At the time i remarried, i used my maiden name instead od my previous legal married name because i didnt want to give up my aboriginal treaty rights by marrying a non native. We have since split up and i have gone to a divorce lawyer who has said that the marriage was not legal as i intentionally lied on the marriaged application for a specific purpose. Is this true
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes.. i gave that info above
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: that the marriage was not valid because i purposely lied and signed the marriage certificate in a different name
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no.. is this an automated system?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
What province are you in please?Did you get a divorce before remarrying?