Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Storage unit is in Stephanie's name. Storage unit fee is charged

Customer Question

Storage unit is in Stephanie's name. Storage unit fee is charged to Stephanie's credit card monthly. Not Stephanie's possessions in the storage unit. No money given by the person whose possessions are being stored. No acknowledgement to forwarded bill notifications or payment receipts. Whose possessions are they? Can Stephanie have a garage sale?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
Can Stephanie find Rob? Does she have an address for him?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay Tom! I've reset my password ***** confirmed my settings. What details would be helpful to give?
I am not sue what you mean, but first, I am not Tom I am Legal Ease. Second, I still did not get a reply to my information request. Can Stephanie find Rob?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know where Rob is but not a personal address. Only contact with him is to his cell phone, text or call
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We lived together in my house. We rented a storage unit to efficiently move him into my house. He has no credit, put the unit in my name and payments made to my credit card. While we lived together he financially supported the household expenses...this being one of them. He left at the end of October. He left everything behind in the house. And, of course what was already being stored. I moved his possessions out of my house in January, brought my possessions back into my house. Since January I've asked him to get to the storage facility to put the unit in his name and begin paying himself. By email, I've forwarded the billing notifications and the payment receipts to him, with no acknowledgement or response.
I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.I suggest that you send him a text so that you have proof and that you tell him that you are no longer going to make any payments towards the storage unit. You should then also tell him that you have been advised that the storage company will place a lien on his property and that if he doesn't pay them they will auction his possessions off.You should also tell him that if he fails to make the payments to the storage company and you suffer damage to your credit rating as a result will you will commence legal proceedings will be seeking damages for damage to your credit record as well as for any payments you have made that he is not the first you for.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When someone walks away from all their belongs, making it someone else's responsibility to take care of them, is possession 9/10 of the law to do with them as I please? Like a garage sale, donation, garbage.I have all the text messages I've sent. Do I need to use specific language?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just to confirm, Legal Ease is an Ontario, Canada based firm?
That is a common saying and isn't in law. If you dispose of his items or if you take them and sell them you can be sued for them. But, if you first send him appropriate notices and wait a reasonable amount of time then the court will not likely say that you did anything wrong.Perhaps the same could be said if you pay off the storage company for any debt and then remove his items from storage.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've sent messages monthly since February and emailed billing notifications and payment receipts since February as well. What is a reasonable amount of time?
I would say that if you provide one final letter explaining that you are going to dispose of the items you should give him at least a week to retrieve the items but if he contacts you and says he needs a bit longer you should give him that time. But if he ignores you after the week passes then you should go ahead.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tom! Been turning this over and over since January. I know where Rob is, but no personal address.
You should do what you can so that Rob sees the letter.Also please rate me now. We can still continue posting but this post has gone on for too long without a rating and it means I've not yet been paid for my work. Thanks