Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I live in bc and have been mandated to attend 3 mutual

Customer Question

Hello i live in bc and have been mandated to attend 3 mutual support meetings a week by an addictions dr working for my employer. The meetings can be either AA or any other support group with a focus on addiction.
The problem i have is that i do not want to go as i have tecovered by other means. They are having me submit random urine tests for 3 years which is fine because i am in a safety sensitive job. I dont have a problem with this as i have no intention to use ever again. But what i do have anproblem with is being forced to attend meetings. So i will give them all the urine samples they want but i will not go to meetings. Can they bar me from work because of this? What do the legal precedents and law say about this in canada and specefically british columbia? Should i involve my union?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
Are you saying you've been doing this for three years or that they want this to start now and you will need to submit urine tests for three years going forward?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Three years of urine tests and 3 mutual support meetings a week for 3 years starting now

That sounds excessive to me. I suggest you do to go your union. The employer cannot unilaterally decide what you need. Different people with substance abuse issues need different things to assist them.So your own health care workers, doctors, counselors etc should be the one advising you about this type of issue and the employer should be not making this type of decision for you. So the union should step in and file a grievance for you at once so you don't risk losing your job.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

From my understanding the employer is following the recommendations of the addictions doctor who works on their behalf.

Again i dont have a problem with urine tests my only problem is with forced meeting attendance whether its aa or something else.

So if i get my union involved do they have lawyers that could defend me or do i have to go to the bc human rights tribunal or something else?

Do you know of any case law on this issue?

I understand where the recommendation is coming from but as I said it is only your own doctor that would know what you need. The union has lawyers for the grievance procedure. I cannot provide caselaw as that is prohibited over this site as you are not my client.