Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My son has been repeatedly bullied at his school and the mother

Customer Question

My son has been repeatedly bullied at his school and the mother of the child is a teacher in the school and also fill in as principal at the school . Spoke to school board about conflict of interest but bullying has gotten worse should I approach the police.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
When you talk about bullying what do you mean exactly?How old is your child?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Our son is 10 years old.
The other child has been teasing and picking on our son, even after being asked to stop. There has also been two incidents of "hands on" with this other child. The first time, our son was pushed into a concrete wall and hit his head. The second time, the other child pinched our son, our son proceeded to try to get away after asking him to stop. Our son was then chased by the other boy and then he punched our son in the throat and our son again ended up hitting his head against the wall.
The police will not get involved when there are little children. But this is not acceptable and the principle is in breach of her obligations to your son. She owes your child a duty of care and also, from a legal position, stands in loco parentis when your child is at school. That means she is legally standing in your shoes. She has to act as if she is a parent taking care of her own child essentially. Your son ethically but also legally deserves much better and is entitled to this by law. She should be dismissed as she is protecting her own child at the expense of yours. The school board is not listening to you. So you have a couple of options. First, you can go above their head to the area superintendent. As well you can and should go to your school Trustee. But as well it may be time to retain a lawyer to assist you. Because of the problems in the education system there are now lawyers who actually specialize in education law. So I suggest you retain one to send a letter to the Board threatening a lawsuit and see what happens then. It is very likely that this letter will go a long way to resolving this issue. This woman should at least be transferred to a school where her child does not attend.