How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97443
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We hired a contractor to do some work on our deck. I gave

Customer Question

We hired a contractor to do some work on our deck. I gave him $2000 down and we have never seen him again. This has been going on since Feb. what are my options. Thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.
Can you locate him?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we have his phone number and home address in Alberta
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.
Then what you should do is send him a letter by Registered Mail. Tell him that you are demanding a refund by the end of business the day after you send the letter. Tell him if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings without any further notice to him and then will be seeking damages, interest and your costs. If he doesn't pay you back in full you can then commence legal proceedings in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far you can always post again on this site if you find you need some help as you go through the process and I can assist you further. This also sounds like you may be the victim of a scam and so you can see if the police will help you. You can say the man convinced you to give a $2000 deposit then he disappeared and will not respond at all to email or voicemail and has not done a thing of work and you believe you have been scammed.Does that helps as a starting point?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He did drop off approx $250.00 in materials in early March but have not seen him since.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.
Well them tell him to take the materials back when he drops off the money.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I have sent him the registered letter and his response was negative and he advised he too would be seeking damages from me. I wish to proceed and take him to court to get me money back. How do I proceed. thanks
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.
Here is a link to the information that you will need: Please rate my answer now. It has been days since I helped you and I haven't been paid and I really should be paid when I do the work. I cannot get paid until you rate me positively. But, the post is not locked after you rate me and so you can come back with follow-up questions. However if you want help with respect to how you can sue you will have to start a new post for that.

Related Canada Law Questions