Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I received the long form census, on May 10th. On May 11th I

Customer Question

I received the long form census, on May 10th. On May 11th I found out the deadline was midnight of May 10th. I began to look at the form. The questions are invasive and I am not prepared to share such personal information with anyone. I remember doing this in the '80's and I only had to say how many lived in my household, and if we were involved in agriculture. I then began to research the legal minimum required to fill out the census, and not put myself at risk of non compliance. Considering I have to spend 5 minutes proving who I am to anyone that I call about a bill, or whatever, I looked into the privacy laws. It looks like I am not obligated to share my name, phone #, sexual preference, mental health status and much more. I also discovered that Lockheed Martin - a non Canadian, private, multi national, involved in military defence (and much more,) were contracted to handle this census!! Question: What am I legally obligated to share? Thank you very much.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
The Statistics Act mandates that all Canadian must by law answer the questions posed in the census questionnaire given to them. It is there unlawful not to respond. But Statistics Canada cannot and does not release the information to anyone without your consent.You are asked to consent to the release of the information in 92 years and you can decline to give that consent. Let me know if you need any further clarification.