Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

So i m having problems with my landlord she gave me 24

Customer Question

Hello so i m having problems with my landlord she gave me 24 hours notice to leave she refuses to give me a lease she's not the owner she sublets an apartment to me do I have to be out in that time frame I paid this months rent
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I've been trying to get ahold of one all day
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: She's been harassing me stalking me looking in my windows this was one apartment and she broke down my kitchen door as she lives downstairs I was at work locked all my doors she took the locks off I have pictures I allow her to use my kitchen when I'm home or she uses her brothers upstairs but this is supposed to be an apartment and now she's turning it around and saying I pay board after she got the police to bust down my kitchen door and after she took the locks I have pictures and proof
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
What province is this please?Do you share a kitchen or bathroom with her?Why does she want to evict you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I allowed her to use my kitchen when I was home but she had to knock I'm in Ontario and she has no reason to eveict me she's been making up a bunch of crazy lies all's I did was asked her to please stop smoking in the house as I just recently quit
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The house is also supposed to be non smoking
I am trying to figure out if this is a shared accommodation. Do you have a separate unit with your own bathroom and kitchen?Does she not have her own kitchen?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm supposed to have my own kitchen she told me I can lock the kitchen and she can go use her brothers upstairs I was nice she asked me if she can use the kitchen I said sure
If you have your own unit then you are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. This means she needs grounds to evict you and if you don't want to leave she has to get an order of eviction from the Landlord Tenant Board. I suggest you tell her this and also stop all other communications with her and to not allow her to use your kitchen. It is not grounds for eviction that you tell her to stop smoking. So it doesn't sound like she can get the order at this point and if she tried you will have the right to attend the hearing and contest the eviction.