How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98540
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a social assistance client funding derived from taxes,

Customer Question

I'm a social assistance client funding derived from taxes, licenses and permits. I have been under a rental contract with a landlord who has not been using my monies paid per contract to keep the property in compliance with laws pertaining to rentals including licenses and permits. I'm not getting the medical or transportation services I need because I'm being told its lack of funding. I have started an appeal of the Residential Tenancy at that level of a claim filed by the landlord that was allowed to be heard prior to he claim I had filed claiming landlord breech. I has now gone over to Court of Queens Bench. I called lawyer referral and was only given the name of one lawyer whose offices are too far away for me to get to with my mobility isssues.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: The landlord locked me out I got a court order getting me back in but he did not give me a key and I cant leave my home unsecured. I contacted Usue but they want me to knock it back to small claims and I would have to do all the work and as said have health and mobility issues and concerns about leaving my residence unsecured due to landlord not giving me a key
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: A neighbor in the building is an has been harassing me and told me the landlord told him he could. My mobility aid has a flat tire and I have concerns it was this neighbor what may have caused it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry for you difficulties. Are you saying that the landlord was ordered to allow you back into your home but had changed the locks and refuses to give you a key to the new lock?And you tried go back to the Landlord Tenant Board but were told to go to Small Claims Court instead?What city do you live in?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Court Ordered
Landlord said go back to Court of Queens Bench
Usue said take it back but to Small Claims
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
correction Landlord Tenant said take back to Queens Bench not landlord
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.
I suggest you get some help from a local legal aid clinic that assists tenants. There may also be local legal aid clinics that help those with disabilities. They will be able to assist you as it is not likely that you can manage going to Queens Bench on your own. You could proceed to deal with this in Small Claims Court and for the most part can do this by way of telephone conference but I assume that one letter from a lawyer will get you the key. The landlord doesn't want to be dragged to court where they will have to pay legal fees. So have a lawyer send a letter for you as a first step and that may be all it will take in this particular case.

Related Canada Law Questions