Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am collecting wsib benefits workplace injury that occurred

Customer Question

i am collecting wsib benefits for a workplace injury that occurred in 2001. i was deemed permanenlt disabled and nable to work and was told my wsib would be paid to me until i turn 65 yrs of age. i am now 60 ys 10 mths and have been recently told that i am eligible to collect early cpp benefits without it impacting and/or reducing the amount of money that i am paid by wsib. my question is...is that true? can i collect early cpp without it reducing the amount i receive from wsib? thank you in advance for reponding
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: not really. i just am afraid to apply for early cpp only to find that my wsib benefits will be reduced because they would deem it a change of circumstances
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I know this question has been sitting for weeks. That is because this area of the law is highly complex and often fact dependent and also because no one on the site can give advice but just information.

You cannot rely on information of a general nature that you receive from a lawyer online but this is just a starting point.

Generally WSIB that is for income replacement ends at 65 as that is when you are considered to have retired and usually that is when CPP retirement pension comes in.

If you apply earlier you will not have the right to continue with the WSIB portion of your benefits that is for income replacement.

But you have to speak to someone at WSIB about this before you rely on this general legal information.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
wsib told me that it will only affect a CPP disability pension, not retirement. is this true?

For sure there is an interaction between CPP DP and WSIB benefits.

If they say there is not for early retirement for CPP then you are likely OK but ask for them to provide you something in writing about this.