Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Canada post lost my wedding band (appraised at 3000$) and is

Customer Question

Canada post lost my wedding band (appraised at 3000$) and is only willing to pay for $100 because of the shipping method we chose. We asked for a different method but was told this method was better. Can we get our money back?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this.Where were you sending the wedding band by mail.Did you insure it through Canada Post?Who suggested a different method?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We were sending it from Longlac, Ontario to Toronto to have more diamonds added.We originally asked to send the package with insurance and with signature required. The last at the post office said we should send it trough xpresspost so it would arrive in two days and have coverage. We have since learned, the coverage is only up to 100$
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The lady** (not last)
So the employee of the post office told you not to pay for additional insurance but told you that the ring was insured and it wasn't insured for its value at all?And do you have proof of this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Unfortunate, It was just a verbal conversation.
I suggest that you send a letter to the head office of Canada Post to the attention of their legal department. Set out the facts, explain what they representative/agent advised and give them a deadline to reimburse you in full for the value of the ring. Provide a copy of the appraisal in the letter so they know what the ring is worth.Tell them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs. You can sue them in Small Claims Court and then can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further. Does that help?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This helps amazingly. Thank you so much.
You are very welcome. Please rate me now so that I can receive credit for my work but also please keep my name. It is Legal Ease. That way if you need me again you can put my name into the question next time. I hope this works out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great. What is an acceptable time frame for demanding payment?
I would say a couple of weeks and the reason why this is longer than I would usually say is reasonable is because this is a big corporation and it may take a while to get this sorted out in case they do want to provide you with this reimbursement.