Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Should Alberta Transportation send out a letter indicating

Customer Question

Should Alberta Transportation send out a letter indicating a suspension of driver license. A friend of mine lost his license for 5 years due to an accident and was to have them back in April 2016 however in July of 2015 we made a mistake and drove a friend home from the bar and he got stopped by the cops and went to court and had his suspension extended for another 6 months and received a fine. Now he has not received a letter from Alberta Transportation as to when exactly he is to get his license back, should they not be sending something out to him again indicating what requirement are to get his license back and the exact date? They did when he first lost his license, but nothing this time.
Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.
They may not have been provided with the proper information from the court but even if your friend is not provided this letter the order of the court still applies and he most assuredly should not consider driving before that time. Aside from getting caught and a further licence suspension being imposed when he drives he is driving without insurance and on top of that he is decimating his potential insurance rates once he can drive.If he was driving your car and was in an accident you would not have been covered. Do you see what I mean?He is taking a huge risk as is the owner of the car. Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** tell him to contact Alberta transportation and get the details as to what he needs to do in order to get license back. He was thinking maybe they forgot to submit it from the courts and that is why he didn't get a letter. He got no paper from court or anything as he represented himself, all he received was the ticket which was paid that day.
It is good you are both being so careful. Take good care. If we are done please rate me before you go so that I can receive credit for my work.