Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

We have been fantastic tenants in our condo years. The

Customer Question

We have been fantastic tenants in our condo for 3 years. The owner in Taiwan has sold it. We provided immaculate premises for open house and the condo was sold immediately. Our new apartment we found is in the same building! However, we can't move in until July 4th. New owner takes possession on May 31.We spoke with her several times & she assured us she was "very flexible" for her move in. We allowed her in with her real estate agents to take measurements at that time, we again informed her that we needed the bridge month (paying rent of course.) She said: "I couldn't care less about you!" We would have to pack, put all our furniture in storage, live somewhere for a month, bring storage truck and hire movers to come back to apt in SAME Building. We priced out everything and it's over $4,000 dollars. We can't afford that. We are staying in this apartment for the extra month. Our question is: If owner decides to seek order of eviction, how long will that take? We will be out of here in 30 days anyway! Thank you.
JA: I'm trying to find the right Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: I just did. Are you there Live?
JA: No. I'm the Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: All is explained above. I've kept diligent notes on everything that has transpired. We are a hardworking couple and will not be treated like dirt by new owner.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: One last thing: The seller in Taiwan gave us permission to stay until the end of June. We have that in a text from her real estate agent in Vancouver. The new PROSPECTIVE owner refused to honour that and went ahead & signed off on May 31st (knowing we could not afford to find accommodation for a month.)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
Where are the condos located please?