Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm a training that works with small business. I would like

Customer Question

I'm a training that works with small business. I would like to use content from a book in my training. If I purchased a copy of this book for every participant... can I use this information?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The content we are using is based on sales information that is published research.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ie., the science of influence
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
So you would not be copying anything from the book but discussing the book that each person who is being trained would own a copy of?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We would discuss the content and include this on a power point slide referencing the mateial and then individualize it for the specific client.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Meaning the theory would be applied in the
Specific context for the particular customer... We might also include a coaching document that references the material.
You would need the consent of the copyright holder and before you can do this. You cannot copy someone else's work without their consent or use it as a base with some alterationsThat would be a breach of copyright.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So discussing the material is ok... However writing down or using it in anyway other then general conversation is a breach of copywriting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So buy purchasing the material, we don't have the ability to use it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I purchase an article on HBR as long as I pay a copy for each student... I can share the content.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm so confused:)
You can use it but you cannot copy it and then change it for each person. You cannot use it as your own. You need the consent of the copyright owner. When you purchase a book you own the copy of the book but you don't own the intellectual property rights to it.It would make sense for you to sit down face to face with an intellectual property rights lawyer who can review what you want to do with you and suggest what you can and cannot do and how to get consent if you want to try and get that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What I mean by Change it... Is apply the Theory to the company's challenges. The concepts in sales are well know... I.e social selling.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We reference everything and provide support.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So as a sales coach... Can I reference the material and book, ask my client to read the book and discuss its contents during our sessions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This way we are not in fact coping any of the material.
Yes you can ask the client to read the book and then discuss the content.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can we quote published stats or info from the books in blogs, written material... Etc?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And if so, how do we do this ethically and legally?
You would need permission to do that. You need to speak to an intellectual property rights lawyer that will review what you want to do exactly and then suggest what you need consent for and how to get that consent. In other words you need some actual advice from a lawyer that reviews the facts in some detail and I cannot do that as it is practicing law and you are not my client so I cannot provide advice. We can just provide general legal information. Now you need your own lawyer to provide actual advice based on your specific facts.