Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a friend who received a Notice Demanding Possession.

Customer Question

Can he appeal the judgement, and does this stop enforcement?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Mortgage default action commenced in November 2015. The defendant was ill and his lawyer attended court to adjourn but judgement was issued for possession. The Notice states that my friend must vacate by May 18. What can be done to stop this action?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
There is no possibility of your friend appealing the judgment at this late date.If your friend can pay off the full mortgage then it may be possible to convince the bank to allow him to do so and stay but he would also have to pay for all the costs they incurred in bringing the action so he will owe a fair amount more than the outstanding mortgage. I am sorry about that.