Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Hie yes My partner got charged assault 2 weeks

Customer Question

Hie yes My partner got charged for domestic assault 2 weeks ago
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I want to drop the charges so that he can come back home
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: There was no injury or weapon on the incident
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation. Unfortunately, it is really not up to you to get the charges dropped. The fact is that you did not charge your spouse. The police charged your spouse. The police did this because they had reasonable grounds for believing that your spouse committed a criminal offence. You certainly can let the crown know how you are feeling and to let the crown know that you are not afraid of your spouse. You can also contact your spouse's lawyer. Your spouse's lawyer cannot talk to you about your spouse's case but can hear what you have to say in terms of what your position is. As well, it would be a good idea for you to contact victim services. They will be able to assist you with all of your questions and support you if you feel you are in need support. For now, let me know if you need any further clarification.