Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

I had a DUI in 2012 and would like to travel to Canada this

Customer Question

I had a DUI in 2012 and would like to travel to Canada this June. I would be entering the country by sailboat in Montreal coming from Vermont. I would be on the boat for 1 week and then take a train back to US. Is this possible?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for the question.Entering Canada from the US (and vice versa) with a criminal record can be tricky because you're risking that if the Border Services personnel on the country you're entering run a check on you for any reason and discover your record they can refuse entry. Technically you could be arrested for trying but I've never heard of that happening unless there was an outstanding international warrant. Rather than arresting, the person is simply turned away at the border. Which can also throw a big wrench into people's lives. As I'm sure you've observed, the Border Services staff aren't known for being friendly, compassionate, or willing to look at all the facts and paperwork when making a decision.As well, each side updates its database from the others' updating lists of people arrested, charged, and convicted. But neither government is compelled to recognize a pardon granted by the other to its convicted citizens.Anyway, you're plan is fine but you could well be turned away if your record is checked. It might not be. I can't tell you how thorough the Border staff are at ports of entry. Here's a good website to copy and paste into your browser. It's a commercial site, promoting their immigration/Nexus card serivices but there's good information there: https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/prior-criminal-offenses/crossing-canadian-border-with-a-dui/#.VyyyI4QrJdgHere's a good link from US Customs: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/402/~/entering-the-u.s.-and-canada-with-dui-offensesAnd here's a link to the Canada Government FAQ about the Nexus program, which is how you get pre-approval to cross into Canada: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.htmlWithout the Nexus card you're rolling the dice when you try to cross the border.Does that make sense? I'll await your question or comment if any. If I've answered you fully then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.
I haven't heard back, was that information helpful? Anything more to discuss about the border crossing issue?